JOB DESCRIPTION AND PERSON SPECIFICATION
Operation and management of the convenience store, forecourt and car washes, including butchery and bakery, particularly when the managing director is not present. Supervising all rotas, hours and wages and taking a role in office management including stock control, drive-offs, marketing, promotions, quarterly Director’s Meetings and Management meetings. Assistance on the shop floor is required in the event of the general running of the convenience store being a priority.
General retail skills:
- enthusiasm for retail sales and strong commitment to customer service
- helpful and supportive attitude to customers and colleagues
- ability to project a smart, efficient image to the public
- reliability, honesty and willingness to take responsibility
- numeracy, including the ability to handle cash accurately and swiftly
- willingness to work flexibly as part of a team
- ability to work unsupervised and take initiative in challenging situations
- awareness of health, safety and security issues
- ability to lead and motivate a team
- commercial acumen and sound business sense
- ability to prioritise, multi-task and delegate as appropriate
- ability to make appropriate decisions in a responsible and timely manner
- ability to interpret and analyse sales figures
- understanding of legal and regulatory environment, including relevant health, safety and hygiene requirements; updating the HACCP file each time new processes, product and regulations arise.
- Verbal and written communication skills
- willingness to step into any retail sales position in the convenience store if the need arises
- good knowledge and understanding of the sales through the forecourt, car washes and shop
- good people skills with staff, customers and suppliers
- organisational skills for rotas, working within Spar plan-o-grams, ordering, deliveries, storage, stocking shelves etc
- Offer on-the-job training and coaching to staff and motivate and develop our team including setting objectives & strategies
- Maintain standards and legal requirements and supervise all staff in doing so.
- Lead by example, modelling best practice and the highest standards of customer care, safety, stock display, operation and presentation
- In consultation with management from time to time as agreed and appropriate run special offers, customer loyalty schemes and similar.
- Inspect equipment regularly to ensure it is in good working order and safe to use
- Develop constructive and cooperative working relationships within the team and maintain them over time, encouraging mutual trust, respect and co-operation. Assist and care for co-workers, customers and suppliers.
- Develop, design and create new applications, ideas, relationships, systems, or products, including artistic contributions, to build and improve the business.
Training & development:
Recommend to management any training courses you believe would enhance the performance of your team. Attendance on training courses may be required.
Customers are the first priority. Only issues of safety, including food safety, and security override this.