JOB DESCRIPTION AND PERSON SPECIFICATION
Operation and management of the in-store butchery and fish counter, including selection, ordering, preparation, display, packaging and sale of meat to consumer and commercial customers. Assistance on the shop floor is required in the event of the general running of the convenience store being a priority.
General retail skills:
- enthusiasm for retail sales and strong commitment to customer service
- helpful and supportive attitude to customers and colleagues
- ability to project a smart, efficient image to the public
- reliability, honesty and willingness to take responsibility
- numeracy, including the ability to handle cash accurately and swiftly
- willingness to work flexibly as part of a team
- ability to work unsupervised and take initiative in challenging situations
- awareness of health, safety and security issues
- ability to lead and motivate a team
- commercial acumen and sound business sense
- ability to prioritise, multi-task and delegate as appropriate
- ability to make appropriate decisions in a responsible and timely manner
- ability to interpret and analyse sales figures
- understanding of legal and regulatory environment, including relevant health, safety and hygiene requirements; updating the HACCP file each time new processes, product and regulations arise.
- verbal and written communication skills
- willingness to step into any retail sales position in the convenience store if the need arises
- good knowledge and understanding of the selection, preparation, display packaging and sale of meat to consumer and commercial customers.
- Estimate requirements and order meat supplies, negotiate with representatives from supply companies to determine order details.
- Receive, inspect, record and store meat upon delivery, to ensure meat quality and safety
- Wrap, weigh, label and price cuts of meat
- Prepare and place meat cuts and products in display counter, so they will appear attractive and catch the shopper’s eye.
- Prepare special cuts of meat ordered by customers
- Supervise other butchers or meat cutters and schedule work activities, rotas and holidays in consultation with management, ensuring butchery opening times are maintained and fully staffed. Also offer on-the-job training and coaching to junior butchers and motivate and develop your team including setting objectives & strategies.
- Add up sales, and on occasion, collect money from customers.
- Ensure that all food hygiene and safety standards are met and keep up to date with industry standards
- In consultation with management from time to time as agreed and appropriate run special offers, customer loyalty schemes and similar.
- Inspect equipment regularly to ensure it is in good working order and safe to use
- Develop constructive and cooperative working relationships with your team and the larger Parkfoot team and maintain them over time, encouraging mutual trust, respect and co-operation. Assist and care for co-workers, customers and suppliers.
- Develop, design and create new applications, ideas, relationships, systems, or products, including artistic contributions, to build and improve the business.
Training & development:
Recommend to management any training courses you believe would enhance the performance of your team. Attendance on training courses may be required.
Customers are the first priority. Only issues of safety, including food safety, and security override this.