JOB DESCRIPTION AND PERSON SPECIFICATION
- experience/training in greengrocery, particularly sourcing, ordering and display
- knowledge of keeping fresh products at their best (temperature, packaging etc)
- skills in writing specials boards for the inside and outside of the store
- a flair for display that will make this signature department a stunning first view for customers entering the shop
- the initiative to source local products and get good prices from suppliers and to come up with ideas for developing your area
- management skills to run and motivate a small team operating morning, afternoon and night-time shifts, both weekdays and weekends, none of whom will have green grocery as their only task
- a clean driving licence
- the willingness to pitch in and do what is needed in the store generally on busy days
- the flexibility to adjust hours so that you are present for seasonal busy spells such as Easter, Christmas and Bank Holidays and then take time off in lieu (no overtime available)
- sufficient physical strength to unload deliveries and display them (trolleys available)
- good people skills to engage in a friendly and mature fashion with staff, customers, management and suppliers and to uphold Parkfoot’s reputation for top class customer service
- the capacity to monitor and analyse what is selling well or less well and to profile our customers and introduce new/seasonal products that will appeal
- experience or training in floristry would be an advantage but not a necessity
- sourcing and ordering local and other products by speaking with and meeting suppliers and wholesalers
- ensuring a range of products, including basics from Spar; seasonal variety; local, featured suppliers and an upmarket, organic range
- taking deliveries and picking up from suppliers
- displaying fruit and vegetables in an eye-catching way that also makes them easy for customers to access and maximises their shelf-life
- writing regular specials and information boards at point of sale and on A-frames or similar displayed outside (daily/weekly). This is also an area where we display awards the company has won (for example, in 2014, we were UK Convenience Store of the Year).
- ensuring that we always have a regular supply of the fresh products people want to buy and do not run out on key days, at the same time as minimising wastage by, for example, liaising with our bakery department about how near-to-date products might be used in a baked product.
- Maintaining the Tchibo coffee machine adjacent to the fruit, vegetables and flowers: wiping down spillages and stocking up product as necessary
- using your presence on the floor of the shop to: chat to customers; assist customers; greet people entering the shop; keep an eye out for people leaving without paying – all as appropriate. There will be a small workstation available and access to computers /phones for ordering
- attending quarterly management meetings to report on your department, to make suggestions for development of your area and to look at how we are performing against targets and budgets
- developing the flower display adjacent to Fruit and Vegetables to increase sales and impact, by ordering from new and local suppliers and extending the range of offers to include bouquets, bunches and possibly our own made-up for display or to-order flowers. Displaying and identifying what our customers want (flowers as gifts, treats, apologies etc).