JOB DESCRIPTION AND PERSON SPECIFICATION
Assistant bakers work in the in-store Bakery and their duties include selection, preparation, cooking, display, packaging and sale of products to consumer and commercial customers whilst maintaining the Food Safety, Hygiene and Health & Safety Regulations. Assistance on the shop floor is required in the event of the general running of the convenience store being a priority.
General retail skills:
- Enthusiasm for retail sales and strong commitment to customer service
- Helpful and supportive attitude to customers and colleagues
- Ability to project a smart, efficient image to the public
- Reliability, honesty and willingness to take responsibility
- Numeracy, including the ability to handle cash accurately and swiftly
- Willingness to work flexibly as part of a team
- Ability to work unsupervised and take initiative in challenging situations
- Awareness of health, safety and security issues
- Ability to work within a team
- Ability to prioritise, multi-task and delegate as appropriate
- Ability to make appropriate decisions in a responsible and timely manner
- Understanding of legal and regulatory environment, including relevant health, safety and hygiene requirements; Verbal and written communication skills
- Willingness to step into any retail sales position in the convenience store if the need arises
- Good knowledge and understanding of the selection, preparation, display, packaging and sale of Bakery products to consumer and commercial customers
- Adaptability and efficiency in consulting with other sales assistants to ensure that as little product as possible is thrown away. Any products that are out of date but can still be used that day, or any items heading towards disposal to be used safely to maximise return to company.
- Good understanding of baking, cooking, measuring, clearing up, presentation
- Being creative and artistic in the preparation of food
- Receive, inspect, record and store upon delivery, to ensure quality and safety
- Prepare and place products in the various display counters, so they will appear attractive and catch the shopper’s eye.
- Using baking equipment and keeping it clean and safe
- Prepare orders for customers and serving them
- Measuring portions, stocking and preserving products
- Liaising with night staff to pre-cook the day’s requirements
- Maintaining the cleanliness and tidiness of the bakery area at all times and particularly leaving the bakery ready for baking each morning
- Operate, clean & stock ticketing machine, ovens and other bakery equipment, including coffee machine.
- Add up sales, and on occasion, collect money from customers.
- Ensure that all food hygiene and safety standards are met and keep up to date with industry standards
- Inspect equipment regularly to ensure it is in good working order and safe to use
- Develop constructive and cooperative working relationships with your team and the larger Parkfoot team and maintain them over time, encouraging mutual trust, respect and cooperation. Assist and care for co-workers, customers and suppliers.
Training & development:
Attendance on training courses may be required.
Customers are the first priority. Only issues of safety, including food safety, and security override this.